Sunday, August 2, 2009

Help!! Totally lost and confused!!?

I'm a sophomore in highschool aspiring to become a magazine editor for magazines such as vogue, people, etc. I get pretty decent grades, usually no lower than a high C, but freshman and sophomore year i have been struggling a little bit, getting lots of D's. However, i'm going to definetly bring the grades up %26amp; apply myself 100% to my schooling. I've looked all over for journalism schools but i'm confused as to what ones would be right for me. I really don't see myself getting into a university with the grades i have right now. What college would be good for me to become what i want to be?

Help!! Totally lost and confused!!?
Learn from a homless hobo. They are really smart you know...
Reply:Learn to write, and write a lot. Editors are writers, mainly, and they all have lots of experience in most aspects of writing and reporting. Work for your school newspaper and see if you can do freelance writing for local newspapers and perhaps magazines. It's the only way to learn the business. College is not strictly necessary for journalism, and in fact journalism is one of those things best learned outside of college. What you should go to college for is to get a good general liberal arts education. This'll give you some insight into people, history, and the world around you.





Don't expect college to teach you how to write; they generally do a rotten job. Learn to write on your own by doing lots of reading and writing.





I don't really see the great appeal of being a magazine editor, but there are those who seem to like it. I'd rather just write and let someone else decide where the pictures go.


No comments:

Post a Comment