Friday, July 31, 2009

Is half a dozencomputer programming languages too much to attain expertise in?
HTML (XML and CS?

Part time, I work as an HTML editor, and my expertise in IT doesn't really go beyond this. I read an article here (link) recently about the responsibilities of an 'Information Architect,' and am intrigued by the vocation. Though I do have an imperative question:





Is half a dozen languages too much to attain expertise in, and which include the following:


HTML (XML and CSS), PHP, C++, C#/.NET/ Mono, Ruby (RoR), and Python?





There's some order to this selection, considering that I can use all this on an IDE. I've already begun my studies of Python, I would appreciate any suggestions or experiences.

Is half a dozencomputer programming languages too much to attain expertise in?


HTML (XML and CS?
Once you actually begin studying you'll learn that most of the "languages" you mentioned are actually just scripting of functions. C is an actual programming language. Python and whatnot are all incredibly similar, and you'll find that if you "master" one, the rest are.. umm well? They all do the same things, just word them slightly different ways.





Scripting and programming are vastly different things. Please find a tutorial on the differences. You merely list half a dozen different types of scripting just to pad your resume for the people who don't know any better.





(adding clarification) You list them because it's better then saying: "You tell me what you want done and I'll make it happen. If you like, I'll even tell you it's done in whatever format you read about in that magazine. You won't know the difference."


No comments:

Post a Comment